Saturday, June 26, 2010

Some crap I wrote on another blog

I'm pretty tired at the moment, and can't be arsed writing anything. So here's something I posted the other night on gunnerblog:

You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I admire Wenger for what he has done in building the youth academy, encouraging a clutch of excellent youngsters coming through, and for keeping Arsenal at a Champions League level despite the major handicap of having to finance the stadium build. We denigrate Wenger for not buying X or Y, but we don't praise him for the above achievements, which only happen once or twice in the lifetime of a club (if ever).

These are remarkable achievements. Only a world-class manager has the talent to do it. Only an intelligent, far-seeing man could grasp the necessity of it. And only an emotional mature, spiritually humble person could be willing to risk his reputation to help bring it to fruition.

Wenger could've gone to Real Madrid, spent bundles on the best young players in the world, and won trophies by the netful. Instead, he stayed with the Arsenal, and is willing to risk his legacy being reduced to being known as a talented man who lost his way, in order to do what it right for Arsenal FC.

We say a lot of crap about Wenger on this Rack, but let's for once forget the immediate, and let us all applaud him for what he has done. Well done, Arsene Wenger!

So on the 301st last day of my 20s, I stayed up watching Brazil and Portugal duke it out for a 0-0 draw. Then I slept, and went to work. I'd planned a lunch for some uni friends, and it completely fell through. Everyone flaked out at the last minute. Ended up just me, my mate and his wife. Interesting lunch, though, and good food.

No comments: