Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I’d rather sleep than watch the Arsenal

I’m wondering whether I should stay up to watch the replay of Arsenal vs Liverpool. First, I’ve read all the reports and I’ve formed opinions of the match already. Second, I’ve never been able to sit through a replay - there’s something missing when it’s not a live match. Thirdly, I’m still recovering from my headache, I’ve developed tonsillitis, I’m coming down with a cold, and I’ve got to drive my parents to the airport at 3am.

Maybe it’ll be better to get an extra four hours sleep and start my 10-11 season with Arsenal vs Blackpool. At least that one promises to be a good Arsenal win. And who knows, by that stage, we may well have a proper keeper in goal after all....

So on the 252nd last day of my 20s, I got irritated at a patient of mine who kept apologising. I do it myself - the first word on my lips is usually “I’m sorry?” - but it’s incredibly irritating when you’re on the receiving end. I wanted to tell the guy to shut the fuck up, but I was afraid his next words would’ve been... "I’m sorry". Felt a bit guilty about feeling this way because politeness should be encouraged, but still, there’s a definite line between good manners and obsequiousness.

Been thinking about the election. I’ve flipped through the pages whenever I come across it in the newspaper. It doesn’t interest me anymore. Gillard lost me when she decided to victimise asylum seekers to win the bigoted, xenophobic vote. Abbott lost me when... I can’t remember when, but it was a long, long time ago. Both parties have ignored the pressing issue of the day (greenhouse emissions). I’m just waiting for the day when 10 million other Australians see the light of day and start voting for the Greens.

No comments: