Saturday, August 28, 2010

I think I'll watch Arsenal vs Blackburn tonight

So on the 240th last day of my 20s, I went to work, had lunch with my brother and his family, checked out when the Arsenal are playing Blackburn, and will have a nap when I finish writing this post. I'm terribly tired at the moment, and will have to get up later on to watch the match.

I went to this fixture two years ago. I stayed in a hostel in Manchester, and took two buses to Blackburn. Had curry chips in a greasy chippery opposite the ground. Sat in the third or fourth row around the corner flag. Watched the Arsenal win 4-1 or 3-0. We were amazing going forward, but got scythed through the midfield whenever Blackburn had the ball. We became much more composed when Denilson (?) was replaced with Song in the second half.

That was two years ago. It's strange to think it was that long ago. In that time, Song's improved out of sight. Cesc has become one of the best midfielders in the world. But Almunia's still shite, and Arsenal are still thin in numbers and experience. We're still hovering between 3rd and 4th, and we need something cathartic to happen to make us league contenders... like buying a fucking goalkeeper.

I miss watching live football matches. I watched four Arsenal matches: two at the Ems, one at Blackburn and one at Bolton. The difference between watching the Arsenal in real life and Arsenal on TV is like.... well, it's like the difference between real life and TV. I'm going to have to go back there again to watch the Arsenal again. Maybe I'll do it when we're interested in winning trophies again.

Blackburn away is going to be a tricky fixture, mainly because Blackburn away is the continuation of Fat Sam away, and Fat Sam away is always about how weak continentals don't like it "up norf" and don't like the rough stuff. So I'm kind of worried about this one, especially since we've got Koscielny and Chamakh still getting used to the Premier League, and Almunia still getting used to being a first choice Premier League keeper.

C'mon Arsenal, let's do it.

No comments: