Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Arsenal are a child-friendly club

Well, if we don’t buy anyone else this transfer season, at least we’ll be able to play Frimpong and Wilshere and still look like we’re a genuine football team. Those two boys have impressed in the Emirates Cup, and will probably feature this season when the injuries start to mount. And while I’d rather we went out and bought a genuine, experienced holding midfielder, it’ll be exciting to watch another shiny young Arsenal player get unwrapped at the Emirates.

In a way, it’s nice that the Arsenal are such a child-friendly club.

We’ve got a few more weeks until the start of the season, and I’d really like us to sign a goalkeeper, at least. I realise Szczesny is the bee’s knees, but I’ve serious reservations about throwing him straight into the first-team, and I’ve even greater doubts about using Fabianski or Almunia for extended periods of time (i.e more than 15 minutes). They say if you’re good enough, you’re old enough, but surely it’s not healthy to have to use that line on half the Arsenal first team squad...

In other news, this morning I saw ad on One HD saying that they’re going to show Liverpool and Arsenal matches, “hot off the satellite”. And on an advanced TV programming guide, it shows a “special event” at 10:00pm on Tuesday, 17th August - Liverpool vs Arsenal. Some people have said it’s most likely a rehash of old FA Cup matches, but if that’s the case, why say it’s “hot off the satellite”? Can we dare to dream the impossible dream, that Premier League matches will be shown free-to-air once more?

So on the 265th last day of my 20s... I realised that it’s 100 days since I turned 29. I’ve kind of coasted to a stand-still in the time since. 100 days ago, I had dreams and goals and a vision for my 30s. Now, all I can seem to think about is the GOMD and how it’s increasingly unlikely that I’ll ever, ever be with her. Lately, in the last few days, I’ve come to realise that I’ve stagnated again. I need a break, a gap, a juncture from this unseemly pressure. I need another holiday.

No comments: