Monday, August 23, 2010

Almost, nearly, probably, about to sign Squillaci (maybe)

It's increasingly likely that we're going to sign Sebastien Squillaci. Apparently, we've agreed terms with Sevilla, and all that's left is a medical. Squillaci is sure enough of a transfer that he stepped down from Sevilla's Champions League play-off match, to avoid being cup-tied for Arsenal. So it's pretty likely.

I'm not sure about this one. £5m for a 30 year old defender, who isn't a regular for Sevilla, seems to be quite a lot. We're at the point where we just need SOMEONE in the squad, but I'm not sure Squillaci is the best option. When you consider £12m-£15m could probably land you a Mertesacker, a Zapata, a Kjaer, or even a Sahko, then it seems like false economy to spend £5m on a depreciating, mediocre talent like Squillaci.

I suppose I should have more faith in Wenger. He's the guy who bought a right-back (Sagna) when we had arguably one of the brightest young right-backs in Europe at the time (Eboue). He's the guy who let Toure go and brought in another short central-defender (Vermaelen). He's still got an eye for talent, and when he takes a plunge on a player, he's usually right.

Then again, he's also the guy who bought Silvestre from Man Utd for £700,000. So even Arsene Wenger can be wrong. Let's just hope he's not wrong this time around.

And let's hope that this isn't the last signing of the summer. We need a goalkeeper as well. Schwarzer, Given... whoever, I don't care anymore. Get just someone competent in front of goal, stop worrying about killing Fabianski and Almunia, and start worrying about killing us gooners, Wenger!

So on the 245th last day of my 20s, I went to work, worked, and then came home. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to turn 10 oranges, 1 head of broccoli, 1 bag of potatoes, 6 carrots, 1 zucchini, 6 eggs and 1 avocado into a meal. I suppose I could make a gigantic bowl of mashed potatoes / frog-in-a-hole type meal, with orange juice and an omelette. Or I could just go get a pizza.

No comments: