Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2-1 to the Arsenal?

This is the first day of my life
I swear I was born right in the doorway
I went out in the rain, suddenly everything changed
They're spreading blankets on the beach

- Bright Eyes, First Day Of My Life, who are singing with the child-like wonder of a gooner who's realised that the Arsenal have won a match that he'd thought had been lost. 

I woke up at 6:50 am, and tried to find a live stream to the Arsenal - Hull City match. Found a jammy one that stalled every five minutes, and watched a really lame performance by the Arsenal. We sucked badly, and we went into half time 0-1 down. 

I was pretty annoyed, and all the way on the train, I kept thinking about positivity, and about how the world loves the Arsenal when I'm positive about the Arsenal. But when arrived at work and checked the score, the Guardian website said that we'd lost 1-0 to Hull City. Again. 

So, I was in a bit of a funk for the day. I spent the whole day pissed off at Arsenal for losing that mathch. And, more troubling was that, if even the mystical powers of positivity don't turn around the Arsenal, what hope for my life? I might as well crawl into the gutter in my Theo Walcott shirt and cry out to heavens, "Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me, Arsene?". 

And now,  everything's somehow changed. 

Firstly, I finally found a song that's been buzzing in my head since I heard it on a rooftop bar on a balmy winter's night in Istanbul. It called "First Day of My Life", by Bright Eyes, the kind of whiny, indie-folk, white boy pop song that I really get funky to. It's well worth a listen, but be warned, it is very whiny. 

And then, I found out the real result to the match. 2-1 to the Arsenal, with second half goals to van Persie and Gallas. I'm not sure how it happened, but I think I misread the Guardian live update page. I don't want to look into it too deeply, because I'm still not trusting this slice of good fortune. It's entirely possible that I've suffered a massive stroke, and this news of a 2-1 win is just a pleasant delusion while I'm comatose on the floor. 

It would be a nice stroke, nonetheless, because... we're going to Wembley!

Also, Cesc Fabregas apparently spat on the Hull City assistant manager. Which, if true, is very bad. We love our spiky, brilliant little Catalan captain, and we love how passionate he is about the Arsenal, but there's no need to act like a shit. Spitting on people is unacceptable. There are enough uncouth footballers around without one of the nicer, more grounded ones acting like a total A*Cole. 

Oh Mr Fabregas, behave!

No comments: