Sunday, May 23, 2010

(I don't care that) Inter won the Champions League

So Inter beat Bayern 2-0 overnight to win the Champions League.

I didn't watch the match. I woke up at 2am, and went back to sleep. The next time I woke up was 7:30am, and by that time, the match had been over for 30 minutes. I missed the replay this afternoon. But still, it's a match that involves two teams which have no relationship with the Arsenal, so who cares?

The one interesting for me is that, after winning the treble, Mourinho is suddenly a manager in the highest bracket. Before this second Champions League title, you could say that Mourinho had: fluked a treble with Porto; won successive league titles with unlimited money with Chelsea; and maintained the status quo with league titles with Inter Milan. But after winning the Champions League again, Mourinho has turned into a historic figure. He's knocked out the league winners of England, Spain and Germany to win it. He overthrew the greatest team in the world in the semi-final. And he did it with a team in a moribund league with second-hand (and second-rate) class players. Real Madrid beckons, and who's to say that he won't have statues raised to him in Porto, London, Milan and Madrid in the future?

In Arsenal news, little Theo is ready to show the world that he's grown up since the last World Cup. He's had four years more experience, and although he's still a work-in-progress, his potential is electric. He said:


I think with a good World Cup and a injury-free pre-season, Theo will be ready to impress next season. It was difficult last season because of his injuries, and because he had to adjust to a 4-3-3. But he's got the ability to shine for us. And he's such a nice boy as well. Let's hope he can shine for England when they get knocked out of the second round by Australia.

We love you, Theo!

So on the 335th last day of my 20s, best-laid plans fell apart. I kept seeing the girl of my dreams around church, but for one reason or another, I never got around to asking her out. We just kept missing each other. Ended the day in a focused discussion at my mate's house, where four people told me in excruciating detail why it wouldn't work. It's a matter of faith; she has it, I don't - or at least, not to the same degree. No matter how I squirm or argue or manoeuvre, it's a roadblock I can't get around. And to be honest, it's not something about her that I'd want to be able to manoeuvre around. It's intrinsic to her nature, and it's partly the reason I like her so much. There's really only one thing I can do about it, and it's not going to be pretty.

I think I should still ask her out, though. Just for the hell of it - and just in case....

Two hours later, and I called her and... it's the start of the tax season and she's really busy with work at the moment, but yeah, she'll call me when things get less busy. Yep, it's a brush-off, but she's just so damn nice about it you don't really feel bad about it.

As I've said before, she's an amazing girl.

No comments: