Friday, May 7, 2010

For a second, I seriously considered Buffon for Fabregas

Juventus are going to offer Gianluigi Buffon to us in exchange for Cesc Fabregas. The sad thing is that our goalkeeping situation is that bad that I'd actually consider it for a few seconds. We can make do without Cesc Fabregas in a 4-3-3 (Nasri and Ramsey have to step up, though). We can't make do with another season of Almunia or Fabianksi in goal, though.

It brings to mind other fantastical swap exchanges that might happen. Say, Arshavin for Pedro and Busquets. We lose an enigmatic 29 year-old winger-playmaker-forward, and we gain a couple of young players who can know how to play a 4-3-3. Or maybe Gallas, Nasri and Diaby for Lloris. We get the best young goalkeeper in the world, and they get an injury-crooked defender and a couple of talented, disappointing midfielders.

It's going to be an interesting transfer season. We bought Chamakh on a free. We're losing Gallas on a free. We're bringing in (at most) two more players. One of them will be Gallas' replacement. Which leaves £15m (in transfer and wages) for another player - either a goalkeeper or a defensive utility who can play holding midfield and centre-back. So really, we've only got the funds to strengthen two areas of our team (attack and either goalkeeper or defence). It's looking like a choice between two evils.

So on the 351st last day of my 20, I went shopping for a jacket with my sister-in-law. She's got an effective screening technique - grab a lot of them, head to the dressing room and try them on. It's different from my normal shopping technique, which is to walk around getting steadily more flustered, until I panic and grab something at random. I think her technique's more effective than mine. This time around, I got something that actually fits.

It's 3 hours later, and I must say, it's a damn fine jacket. It has to be the best thing I've bought in a couple of years. I think I'll sleep in it tonight.

No comments: