Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We're not signing Kompany

"I have been interested in Vincent Kompany ever since he was 16, but I am not interested in him this year. There is nobody I need for my team's defensive department. I still follow Kompany's progress all the time and I know him very, very well. But he will not be an Arsenal player next season - and you can print that."

- Arsene Wenger, The Sun

I've been trying out an Irish accent. It's strange, because I'm immediately more relaxed and garrulous when I'm using my brogue. And I get a terrible thirst for a pint of Guinness. I quite like it and I find it quite natural to talk like that. I might try it out the whole day tomorrow and see what kind of reaction I get.

The problem with football gossip is that it's like a big bonfire on a windy beach. It's quite unnatural - there's this big roaring flame in the middle of cold sand, a bunch of strangers huddle around for warmth and light, and a fast dwindling supply of firewood. The fire must be fed. The flame must be kept intact. Because if it isn't those folk will have nothing better to talk about amongst themselves.

That's a metaphor, folks.

In the midst of our inter-season lull, we're the folk on the beach, and we're shivering out nuts off in front of our dwindling fire of hope. If you're a pure Arsenal fan, there's scarcely a nugget of newsworthy news around. But we're so insatiable for any positive signs for the new season that we devour everything we can. The fire must be fed. The flame must not die out.

Okay, it's not a perfect metaphor. I'm a bit tired to iron it out properly. Still, I find it profoundly depressing when papers are reporting which players we AREN'T signing. Do we really need to know that Wenger likes Kompany but isn't going to sign him? This is followed on newsnow by breathless reports of Beckham thinking about training with us in January. I'd really prefer to read about actual signings, potential signings, theoretical signings... anything but signings that aren't going to happen.

Ramsey, yes. Nasri, probably. Anyone else, please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have excellent blog. I have recently launched arsenaldailynews.com website where I am collecting news about Arsenal from various sources. Is it OK to add your blog as source and to publish your posts when they are available? Also, would you consider link exchange between our sites?