Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Vail, Arsenal 08-13

I deleted my FM08 saved games over the weekend. It was an incredibly bad oversight, because it means I'm stuck with reading the same interminable empty gossip that you lot are reading. I can no longer escape into my dream team. Oh well.

So this post is a eulogy for the best Arsenal squad since my CM 03-04 team. Together we won 4 Premierships, 4 Champions Leagues (all against Real Madrid), 3 FA Cups and 2 League Cups, while upholding the principles of Wengerball. We proved that beautiful attacking football can dominate the world.

GKs: Lloris, Edwards
DEFs: Marcelo, Clichy, Toure, Breno, Sahko, Bellaid, Sagna, Traore
MIDs: Menez, Fabregas, Denilson, Diaby, Sankhare, Ben Arfa, Silva
FORs: Adebayor, Benzema, Walcott, Saivet, Vela

As you can tell, there's a definite Francophone flavour to the side. It was deliberate. I felt that, as a French manager, I had a duty to the national side to promote French youth. The really frustrating thing was that my next generation (Ayew, Le Tallec, Saivet, Sankhare, Sahko) were ready to take flight. And now, I'll never know if they had the ability to play become world-beaters.

2 comments:

ArseNole said...

That's sad you deleted your games. I always regret when I start a new one. On my current one though I've made it all the way to the start of the 2024/25 season. I manged to win the league 9 times, the Champions League 6 times (all against Liverpool oddly) and the FA Cup and League Cup three times each. I also played Wengerball and even played the reserves in the League Cup games.

Sagna, Toure, Clichy, Adebayor, and Walcott actually all stayed until retirement and Toure is now a coach for me.

But yes sadly when we don't have FM we have terrible transfer stories and boredom :(

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my unstoppable PES 06 team.

----------Storari----------
Zenoni Laursen Rozenhal Pasqual
-------D. Zenoni-----------
--------------Ledesma-----
Rosi---------------Quaresma
-----Amauri---Caracciolo----

In one season (I forget which, I've played so many) I won every league game and won all 3 tournaments (league, cup and CL). On the hardest difficulty naturally! Anything lower in PES is for noobs!