Sunday, June 29, 2008

Euro 2008 final

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."

- Gary Lineker

It's going to be a good game tonight. I'm going for Spain because, as Cesc says, they play like Arsenal. I love the patient build up, the waiting, the watching, that one single incisive pass and the chaos that ensues. It's been a pleasure watching Iniesta, Xavi, Silva, Torres and Villa link up. Amazing stuff.

I'm especially eager because Cesc is starting, and playing in that 9.5 position. It's his best position, and he plays it very, very well. Spain have been the best side in the tournament and deserve the trophy. I'm sick of seeing defensive, tactical football winning international trophies. And anyway, if Arsenal can't win anything, I'd like to see an Arsenal-esque side winning something. But I'm not sure. Without Villa, will Torres have enough oomph to occupy Mertlesacker and Metzelder? Will Puyol and Marchena be good enough against Germany's aerial power? I'd like to think so, but I'm kind of apprehensive.

My prediction's 1-0 to Germany, Klose headed goal from a corner.

My other prediction is that straight after the match, Wenger will announce that he's signed Silva and Villa on the sly, and that he was just waiting for the tournament to finish before making it official. Apparently, he didn't want the publicity to effect Spain's chances.

Considerate man, our Arsene.

Oh, and Ade's going to ask to leave Arsenal for Milan.

"I had a dream of playing for Arsenal and Arsenal are one of the loveliest clubs in the world. When I go back to Africa it is obvious that a lot of people love the club. But now I have a chance of playing with one of the biggest clubs in the world. I haven't had a chance to speak to the manager yet. But we will sit down next week and decide what is good for my career."

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cheap shot did you take at Camy in your email to her?

C is still feeling a bit sick, now gastro symptoms and I'm working this weekend. Hopefully will catch up next week.

Have you set a date on your leave? Are you going before the 29th of August.

Your brother.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, how long does it take to write you blog everyday?