Friday, June 26, 2009

Why Are We So Angry?

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek

- Where Is The Love?, Black Eyed Peas

Arsenal's an angry place at the moment.

Theo Walcott is angry for being dropped in a U-21s match. Theo made Wenger angry by agreeing to play in the U-21s this summer, and he expected more support from his U-21s manager. After starting as a sub against Spain, he got angry. And now that England are up against Sweden in the semi-finals, he's going to get angrier still. As he said himself,

"You've got to be angry coming on the pitch. You don't want to be too angry and get sent off but hopefully I'll be at it on Friday."


We should probably get used to Angry Theo, because it's his new game face. Gone is the sweet, lovable nice boy we've all adored. Instead, we've a snarling, hissing, growling whelp of a winger to look forward to next season. I bet he's going to come home with a "Mom" tattoo on his forearm.

Cesc Fabregas is angry because Arsenal are "impotencia", or powerless to win a football trophy. Cesc is also angry that English media are twisting his words around. In fact, he's so angry that he made this statement.

"It appears that every time I have spoken to the Spanish media recently, my words have bounced back to England, leaving question marks about my future. So, for anyone who is unclear or may have misunderstood what my position is, let me make myself absolutely crystal clear. I am wholeheartedly committed to Arsenal and my future lies with this great Club."

Cesc Fabregas is clearly an angry young man. And I'm afraid that he's setting a bad example to the general footballing populace. A survey by the Daily Mail shows that fans are getting confused as to whom they're supposed to hate most. Tottenham hates us, we hate Chelsea, Chelsea hates Man Utd and Liverpool, West Ham hates Tottenham... it's all a bit confusing, really. The world's in a maelstrom of hate and anger.

Why can't we all just get along?

No comments: