Monday, July 28, 2008

Should I support Real Madrid?

“I didn't tell Ramon Calderon no, I told him that now wasn’t the time to go to Madrid. That you are wanted by Madrid, one of the biggest teams in history, is important. To be four seasons without winning any titles would be too much for me. Real Madrid are the favourites to win La Liga this year."

- Cesc Fabregas, one of our more loyal players

Ramon Calderon talks to me as well. He wants me to quit supporting Arsenal and start supporting Real Madrid. He tells me that Madrid will win La Liga this year, that they'll sign Ronaldo and that everything's going to go well. He's even going to throw in a Robinho shirt if I switch.

Some days, I'm tempted by his weasel words. It would be nice to be part of a club that wins things. Say what you will about glory-hunting, bandwagon jumping, prawn-sandwich munching plastic supporters, they do have better parties. And it's very frustrating waiting for a future that doesn't look like eventuating.

It's difficult to keep the faith when last year's team, the one that came so close, is dissolving like a dandelion in a strong puff of wind. If Hleb, Flamini and Adebayor don't share the faith, why should I? You're only a supporter for 30, 40 years, and you need to make it count. Why wait for success when you can enjoy it every year at a big, big club like Real Madrid?

I reason I support Arsenal is Arsene Wenger. I love Arsene Wenger. He's a brilliant manager and he's got a side that plays sublime football. I don't want to betray his confidence. It'll kill him if I left Arsenal and joined the skanky ho brigade. First Vieira, then Henry, then Cesc, and now me? I don't think he could take that much betrayal.

Still, I hope we win something next year. Like Cesc says, four years is a long time without winning any titles. Come on Wenger, it's up to you to make us happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more and more arsene is afc. that crummy board is so tight if any one of them farted the spark would be so powerful as to reach the pilot light in the basement and the ensuing explosion collapse the entire stadium. and now for arsene's next trick -- bringing in players who actually pay the club to play. it's just out of hand, there's something wrong with afc finances, that or the transfer market is so bloated with over-priced, over-hyped and over-rated players that whenever wenger reaches for the phone he becomes nauseous. that said, no top quality signings spells no trophies. should be a colorful and interesting year though, taking the kids experiment to the ultimate extreme. the year the young guns and first team became synonymous. i don't know whether to laugh or cry. as wenger has a better view than us, let's hope he's got something cookin'.

Anonymous said...

nice article, I think bad mouthed Platini needs to do something fast before these stupid bullies kill the game.

Hey blogger , can we do a link exchange ? I am the admin of the football forum at http://soccerfanbase.com email me at admin@soccerfanbase.com if you are interested in a links exchange.