Friday, May 2, 2008

Milligan to join the Arse!

"I signed Mark Milligan because he's a very good player, he's very versatile, and he's Australian. We need more Australians at the Arsenal. They're fucking brilliant."

- Wenger, hopefully on July 1st, about Arsenal's new signing!

Mark Milligan, Olyroos captain and Sydney FC defender, is set to join Arsenal. Wow! This makes me happy. Very happy. Estactic, even. In a few months time I'll be cheering one of our own. I already tear up at the start of Socceroo games when they play the national anthem and our disparate band of players stumble over those lyrics that mean so much when you're an ex-pat living in a cold, distant land. I'm not sure how emotional I'm going to get when I see Milligan trot out for the Arse, but I'm going to stock up on Kleenex.

I love the fact that this guy has the technical ability to play Wengerball. It's a big tick for the future of the Australian team, and it's especially comforting considering the lack of talent which follows the Kewell/Bresciano/Cahill generation. He's a full back who plays as a centre-back for Australia, and can moonlight as a defensive midfielder. He's probably not a direct replacement for Flamini, but he's miles better-looking. And he's Australian.

I wish I could make an intelligent comment about this, but I'm a blubbering twit at the moment. So fucking happy.

Did I mention he's Australian?

3 comments:

J.Sanderson said...

yo man.

very different blog haha.

keep up the good work, cheers for adding my link, ive added your too.

all the best.

J.Sanderson - Young Guns

WEG said...

Thanks Jamie. I really enjoy reading your blog; great work following the Arsenal youngsters.

Anonymous said...

Milligan could be the ideal replacement for Flamini though seems unknown but then we also do not know much about Flamini before he came to Arsenal...any soccer lover who will like to interact with other fans and dicuss any soccer related issues should check out Soccer fan base dot com it is free to join.