Monday, August 25, 2008

Overpacked

"I want a small squad so the players are hungry for a position and everyone can be satisfied."

- something I think Wenger said once

I packed too much stuff - too many socks, too many jocks, too many shirts and pants and really naff things. Why the fuck did I think I'd need a book? I'm going to have to cart Cloudstreet with me for 6 months now. At about 1kg over 180 days, that's a cumulative load of 180kg.

I'm going to have to dump something. It's taken me a hour this morning to figure out how to fit everything in my bag. My bag groans every time I pack, and I'm fearful that one day it'll just give up. But I'm quite attached to stuff; it's nice to know you've got enough clothes to avoid laundry for a week.

I'm not sure where I read the above. Maybe I dreamt it. Maybe my subconscious made it up after weeks of trying to figure out why we haven't bought a replacement for Flamini yet. I don't know. It sounds like something Wenger would've said, at any rate.

Maybe Wenger doesn't like throwing out stuff as well. He wants a lean, lightweight bag so that he doesn't have to cart dead weight all over Europe for 6 months. He wants three pairs of socks and jocks, one pair of pants, two T-shirts and a toothbrush. Because nothing's worse than trying to stuff Tim Winton's masterpiece (and yes, it's one of the best in terms of Aus lit) between a pair of moldy underpants. That's just wrong.

But I hope Wenger realises that under packing is just as bad as over packing. A couple of days ago, Fulham pulled our pants down. And the whole world realised we were skimping on underwear. We can't let it happen again. A feisty defensive midfielder isn't a luxury item - it's a necessity. I read that Inler's about to be signed. Good.

I liked the Tower of London. It's a lot bigger than I thought, and a lot cushier. Apparently, Sir Thomas Moore had his family and his servants with him while he was incacerated for not allowing Henry VIII to split from the Catholics. And Sir Walter Raleigh had the time to write a history of the world. They were "political prisioners", and as such, were treated as gentlemen - or like Mafia bosses in American jails. Which just goes to show that there really is one rule for the rich and one for the poor. And the crown jewels were shiny.

I think I've exhausted most of central London. Maybe I'll do a palace or two. Or see the London Eye. Or take one of those London Walks that get promoted from every tout on the street. At the least, I should go and get breakfast.

It's all been quite good.

No comments: