Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The 361st last day of my 20s

I don't really have anything to say about the Arsenal. What's there that's new? People have been discussing the impending arrival of the home-grown rule, and what effects that will have on the Arsenal team. Every EPL side will have a squad of 25, with 8 home-grown players. From what I gather, we'll have to make room for new players by selling existing members of our squad. So what's new about that? We've been doing that for years.

Personally, I think we should wait until the transfer window opens before we start thinking about what will happen. If there's one thing I've learnt about Arsene Wenger, it's that he doesn't think like me. Arsene Wenger is one of the most respected football thinkers in the world, and has been for the past 10+ years. I'm a guy in Australia typing on my laptop in my flannel pyjamas. It's fair to say that we come to football from different levels of understanding.

Anyway, I need a break from talking about Arsenal.

So on the 361st last day of my 20s, I wandered around David Jones, looking for a jacket that's equally suited to indoors and outdoors. I came across a few in the $100-$150 range, but they looked a bit too flashy. Had a discussion at work about the necessity of hoodies in a wardrobe, and am partially convinced of their virtue. I might have to consider throwing in the whole second jacket idea, and get five sets of hoodies instead.

I also bought a copy of Northanger Abbey because it features the girl of my dream's favourite Austen male character, and I was somewhat curious. I'm a few chapters in and so far it's been a pleasant read; it lacks the polish of a Pride and Prejudice or an Emma, but there's a certain youthful exuberance about it that's fascinating. Reading Austen in her youth is like watching a teenaged kid emerging from a toxic accident and discovering he/she has developed superpowers.

I'd still pick Persuasion as my favourite frocks and fops book, though. If the typical Austen book is like a university ball with drinking, dancing and various pairings-off, then Persuasion is the hour after everyone's gone to the after-party, and you're left alone a messy hall with a hundred or so empty chairs. It's a book that seethes with temperance, reflection and wistful, quiet regret. It's Jane Austen exposed, caught in an extended moment of wish fulfilment, mulling over things that could have been.

But Austen being Austen, it still has balls, bodices and chaps from the country militia.

No comments: