Friday, April 30, 2010

The 358th last day of my 20s

"We have a basic squad and I believe in the squad I have. But if I can make an addition - two or three maximum - then we will do it.... Ideally, you would want to do the job before the World Cup. It is difficult to give yourself the right timing. Certainly, we will announce one player before the World Cup. After that we will see."

- Arsene Wenger, talking about signings

Blackburn vs Arsenal next up and really, who gives a fuck? The season's over, we're fairly certain of 3rd, we're playing crap players and up against a crap side, so I'm not enthusiastic about this match. It's just the penultimate match of a season in which we didn't measure up.

Wenger's talking about signing someone before the World Cup. I suppose that's Chamakh. He's also talking about bringing in one or two more players. That's the replacement for Gallas, if he's leaving, and someone else. My money is on the replacement for Almunia, but Wenger "believes" in the squad, so maybe not.

I think 3 signings in the right areas could strengthen us to the point where we can challenge for the league. But would it happen? Let's see. We've been here before, been excited at the end of a season and wishing for signings we feel are surely about to happen. This time around, I'd rather wait to see what happens.

So on the 358th last day of my 20s, nothing went according to plan. Yesterday, my mate told his wife that I fancy her sister; all she said in reply was "I feel sorry for him". Fucking hell, after the night I've had, I feel sorry for me too. I realise this is supposed to be an accurate daily account of my 29th year, but some spots will have to be left intentionally blank. I'm sure that even in my 40s, I will have no wish to relive this night.

What shits me off is that, on the 361st last day of my 20s, I was bouncing off the walls looking forward to this night. But I should know the drill by now - expectation, delusion, reality, disappointment.

Watched Iron Man 2 with some mates, though. So at least there was something nice about the day. Good film, although they could've improved it by cutting out the tedious father-son relationship theme, and incorporating more robots, lasers and iron suits into the plot.

No comments: