Thursday, April 17, 2008

What did Myles write?

"Last night I wrote an ANR piece that was original and penetrating. Reading it this morning, it was one of those where I think, "The audience isn't ready for this." I do four or five of those every season."

- Myles Palmer, Arsenal News Review

Modest man, isn't he? Every year, he writes four or five pieces that are original and penetrating, and then files them away because we're not ready for them. Does that mean that during the other 360 days of the year, he writes unoriginal, obtuse pieces that the audience will lap up like perverts at a strip joint?

I like reading ANR. It's interesting. It's an Arsenal blog written by someone who isn't an Arsenal fan. He's got opinions that don't make a lot of sense a lot of the time, but that doesn't matter. It's sometime nice to have a second opinion.

I'd like to devote this post on speculation as to what Myles thinks Arsenal fans aren't ready for:

1/ Wenger should be sacked - can't be this, because it's repeated in every bar, on every blog column and newspaper article every time we lose. It's not original.

2/ Wenger should buy big name players - can't be this because I think we're ready to buy our Benzema and Ben Arfa shirts.

3/ Man Utd are great - can't be this because Myles says it in every post.

4/ Gallas should be stripped of the captaincy - can't be this because every tabloid in England has already made the same comment.

I've been racking my brains for the past ten minutes, and I can't think what could've been said that was both original and penetrating. Maybe it means that I'm not original nor penetrating, but we're not going to discuss that today.

Then again, perhpas I've been approaching this incorrectly. What's the one thing Arsenal fans aren't ready to hear? I think I've got it:

No matter how well you play, sometimes life isn't fair. Nothing to do but buck up, be a man and try again.

But it can't be that simple. Can it?

No comments: