Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pride and dignity

"It has been difficult for all of us. We lost a 100 metres race on the photo finish, and last week was the lowest I have had here. The players are down, like me. But what do I expect from the final four games? Twelve points. We must finish the season with pride and dignity."

- Arsene Wenger, bloody fucking brilliant manager

I quite like starting my posts with a quote. It adds a veneer of substance to my meanderings. I think I might start every entry with one from now on.

Wenger's right in that we do need to finish the season well. When you get down to it, it doesn't matter whether we finish 2nd or 3rd. What does matter is how we finish. Four wins would be great. It would lay a foundation. It would send the message to Man Utd and Chelsea that next year, we'll be strong for the full 38 games. It would send the message to our own players that to treat every game as important, because their own professionalism demands nothing more than 100% effort.

However, Wenger's deluded if he seriously thinks we lost in a photo-finish. We were effectively out of the running after 32 games, with that loss to Chelsea. Moreover, we'd been limping since January. If there's a photo-finish, it'll be between Man Utd and Chelsea, not us. Those teams have the depth of squad to fight every match of the season. They can weather poor form because they've got the options within the squad to cover for injured players. They've got experienced internationals as squad players.

We don't. And we're unlikely to get those reinforcements soon. Case in point, David Villa wants to join Arsenal. Wenger is "flattered", but doesn't want to hurt Bendtner's and Walcott's feelings. I wish he'd consider my feelings as much as he does their's. I hurt just as much that we're not buying a super, super player. Anyway, let's hope that the player Wenger does have his eye on is as good as Bacary or Eduardo.

One spot I think we'll need a ready-made reinforcement is central midfield. Will Flamini sign? No. He has valued himself as a 20 million pound player, and wants a 70,000 pounds a week contract. Honestly, does think he's worth that much? I don't. He has been phenomenally good this year, but I have doubts. Will he be as good next year? And the year after? And anyway, who amongst you would be willing to see such an ugly bastard in the heart of our beautiful side year-in, year-out? I believe Wenger has doubts about his ability to play at this level long-term. Otherwise, why else would he be willing to let Flamini go now, after he bound the team together so well?

And even if Flamini signs, we still need someone to deputize. Gilberto's past it. Denilson's too young and not the same type anyway. Song... we'll probably see more of him next year. I hope that kid's going to be good.

Anyway, Reading next. Pride and Dignity.

No comments: