Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cesc to Barca... again

"Cesc is wanted by me, by the coach Pep Guardiola and by the sport director Txiki Begiristain. We are concentrating all of our efforts on it, but at the same time we have a lot of respect for Arsenal. We have positive relations with Arsenal so it will not be an easy topic to talk to them about."

- Jose Laporta, respectfully trying to tap up Cesc Fabregas

With friends like these, who needs enemies, hey?

I'm glad Barcelona have "positive relations" with Arsenal, because I'd hate to see what would happen if our relationship turned frosty. I'm imagining a midnight raid and a bottle of chloroform would be involved, followed shortly by a grainy video of Cesc with a gun to his head, imploring Arsenal not to try to rescue him because he's "very happy to be with his new friends".

The whole Cesc-Barcelona saga is getting a bit drawn-out. It's a bit like the closing stages of the Cold War - you know nuclear Armageddon could occur at the push of a button, but the threat's been around for so long that it's lost its power. Similarly, we know Cesc is going to leave us one day, but we've read these tap-ups so many times that it's a bit like "Duck And Cover".

Still, the end just might be in sight. Just as the Cold War ended in a whimper, so too might the Cesc War. This, from Arsene Wenger:

"I refused (Real Madrid) because I have built a young team and I have the feeling that I have not finished my job. I am not denying it will be a decisive season. If we are not in the title race, we will have to build everything again."

2009-2010 will be a decisive season. Either we shape up as contenders, or we'll rebuild. And I can't see Cesc sticking around for another lengthy rebuild. The boy wants trophies, and he wants them now. And in 2010-2011, he might be striving to win them in La Liga and not the Premier League.

It's an interesting quote from Wenger. After years of transition and false starts, after all the times he's defended his players for their lack of fight, lack of experience and even lack of talent, it's a refreshing admission. The youth project can end, and it might end soon. I hope Wenger prints this quote out and sticks it on the dressing room wall. It might give the boys something to play for - their careers.

No comments: