Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The World Is Round

"I was in Bangalore, India, the Silicon Valley of India, when I realised that the world was flat."

- The World Is Flat, Thomas Friedman

I was in Hong Kong, China, one of the commerical hubs of East Asia, when I remembered that the world is still painfully round when you're a gooner in the eastern hemisphere. 

We beat Cardiff 4-0 last night, and I didn't see it. Eduardo scored two goals, and apparently, we purred like a kitten being stroked by lambswool mittens. But I can't really say, because I didn't see it. It happened eight time zones away, sometime between the hours of 3 and 4. And once again, watching Arsenal has become a painfully difficult interest to pursue. 

Well done Eduardo, though. He's a good player, and I wish him well. It takes a lot of courage to come back after such a bad injury, and I hope he recovers well enough to take a first-team spot off Adebayor's hands. We could use a guy who knows how to score goals - we've been missing that for a while, now. 

Meanwhile, I don't think it's coincidence that the first great performance we've had for a long, long while took place the game immediately after I got my Theo Walcott shirt back. I bought the thing six months ago, and we started thumping sides 3-0 and 4-0. I stored it away in London while I travelled through Europe, and then we declined. And now, with that Arsenal shirt tucked safely away in my backpack, we're back to thumping sides 4-0. 

If I was Catholic, I'd be beatified by now. 

No comments: