Monday, December 1, 2008

On Kotor

I spent about six hours on the bus yesterday to get to Kotor. It's a small town in Montenegro, and has an Old Town that rivals Dubrovnik is prettiness. There's a bunch of winding, cobble-stoned streets and tall, looming buildings. There's a castle that's built high on the hill and there's the most spectacular bay just across the harbour.

Still, I don't think it was worth the travel. Three hours to, three hours back, and about half an hour to potter around the town. It's nice and all, and it's cool to get another stamp in the passport, but there are only so many pretty little seaports you can see before it gets a bit samely.

Dubrovnik's nice. Took a walk along the city walls today, and it's quite a lovely view - just a bunch of orange terracotta tiles staring back at you. And the walls are built hard against the sea, and bits of the foundations are actually in the sea. Very dramatic stuff. Makes you wonder how the Serbs could've bombed something to pretty. And they're starting to set up for Christmas - there's a big tree in the town square.

Wish I knew where I'm going to spend Christmas. It's so far ahead, about four weeks away. And I'm a bit nerovus about it - got these visions of spending the night in deserted hostel, pulling a little bonbon by myself. Dreading the thought, really. Really need somewhere cheerful to go.

I've been thinking about Rome for the religious aspect. And Germany for the Christmas markets. And Seville or Barcalona, simply because they're probably a couple of the prettiest places in the world. But I don't know. I had a snowfall in Sarajevo, and I'm kind of wanting something similiar on Christmas Day. Never had a white Christmas.

If anyone's of a mind, you can vote on the right hand side.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can also see what Camy is going over the Christmas period.

Your Brother

Anonymous said...

You can also see what Camy is going over the Christmas period.

Your Brother

WEG said...

Oh God no. Never, never, never. Not in a month of Sundays. Rather spent it roasting marshmallows in the seventh circle of hell.

Anonymous said...

How many circles of hell are there?

WEG said...

Yeah, got it a bit wrong. In my defence, I was rushed, and a bit distracted. 7 circles, seventh being Earth. Really should've said 1st circle, or 2nd circle - somewhere toasty warm.